What's So Good About... DVD
Age Range: 7-11
Product Code: LS445498
* Price excludes VAT
My Wish List
11 x 15 min programmes
POPULAR WRITERS DVD
This DVD consists of five documentaries from the Book Box series, including interviews with the authors and extracts brought to life by readings and enactments. What's So Good About ... Roald Dahl? analyses his life and work, showing how he drew upon his experience and vivid imagination to create stories. Malorie Blackman shares her writing tips and inspirations. Everyone knows that JK Rowling's Harry Potter stories are hugely popular. These programmes show why the Harry Potter books are so compulsive. The author of Coram Boy (winner of the Whitbread Prize 2001), Jamila Gavin, started writing because she felt there weren't enough books reflecting the lives of children from different ethnic backgrounds. Dick King-Smith is the author of The Sheep-Pig, the story that inspired the film 'Babe'. He only started to write in his fifties but quickly became an extremely popular children's author, focusing mainly on books about animals.
- Investigates a range of authors and genres
- Develops an awareness of the author's voice
- Indicates how authors use their sources of inspiration
- Compares a range of story styles and settings
- Helps to describe and evaluate the style of an individual writer
- Looks at connections and contrasts in the work of different writers
- Gives an insight into the way authors handle time, characters, plot and settings
- What's So Good About ... Roald Dahl?
- Heroes and Monsters: Dahl's characters
- The Greatest Secrets: How Dahl's life and experiences influenced his work
- Anything is Possible: Dahl's creative genius What's So Good About ... Malorie Blackman?
- We Have the Technology: Growing up, hobbies, getting ideas, top tips
- Friends and Family: Creating characters, short chapters, the importance of family What's So Good About ... JK Rowling?
- Platform 93/4, Boarding School, Owls, Scary Bits
- More Than Just Books - Harry online What's So Good About ... Jamila Gavin?
- Myths and Legends: Childhood, friendships, story content
- Wheel of Life: Creative writing, a perfect story, ideas from life What's So Good About ... Dick King-Smith?
- Something on Paper
- Through an Animal's Eyes
- The content is designed specifically to support work in the Literacy Hour
- The DVD covers all aspects of language and literacy
- The DVD is fully searchable, allowing you to go straight to what you need without cueing
- Can be used on computers with DVD-Rom drives and ideal for use on interactive whiteboards
- DVDs offer greater flexibility and control, making them easy to incorporate into your lessons
- The DVD is linked to the Book Box website - giving you easy access to extension materials
Free interactive BookBox website.